Saturday, December 4, 2010

Shell Oil Corporation Wants To Help

I clicked on a banner ad at the top of the Washington Post today. I do that just to earn some money for the paper I'm reading. I especially enjoy doing it when the ad is from a company I despise. This one was for Shell Oil, and they devoted their page to ideas for better fuel mileage when we drive.
"Getting more mileage out of your tank makes sense not only for your pocket; it also puts less strain on the earth’s natural oil reserves."
There's something eerily inane about the idea that oil company would offer advice to its customers about how to save money, and conserve oil. But I read their helpful tips, and here's one that stands out:

"Drive smoothly: Avoid heavy acceleration or braking. Speeding, rapid acceleration and braking can lower your gasoline mileage by 5% at lower speeds around town and by 33% at highway speeds."
I think that's really good advice, so I'll say it, "Thanks, Shell!"

Drivers can really do themselves and their vehicles and the planet a favor by not stomping on the gas pedal like flamenco dancers when a light turns green, or the car in front of them in a long line of creeping traffic moves a few feet. And don't tailgate, or tap the brakes every ten seconds on the freeway.

That's all, peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

share your thoughts...