Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Sheep Wool Insulates Buildings


I saw this on a French news program today...

So, I checked the stuff out:


A 12 foot roll of 16 inch, R-19 Wool Insulation costs $40.10 at Eco Building Products. That works out to about $2.50 / sq. ft., which is pricey (see below for fiberglass comparison).

Here's a blurb from Eco Building Products on the virtues of Sheep Wool Insulation:
The manufacture of sheep wool insulation requires 90 percent less energy to manufacture than mineral wool insulation. In use, the durability and moisture control properties of wool allow for a higher level of performance and longevity, retaining its insulating properties for the life of the building.

Wool is naturally fire resistant and is treated with boron salts so as to heighten its vermin and insect resistance.
For comparison, Google found Ace Hardware sells a roll of R19 Owens Corning Fiberglass Insulation (16" x 39 feet, 50 Sq. Ft.) for $24.99, or $0.50 / sq. ft.

If I were building a tiny house, I might use this stuff on principle. For a bigger joint, I'm not so sure I could justify the price...its nice to contemplate a biodegradable insulation material though. And, farms instead of factories...but not factory farms. But, I digress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

share your thoughts...